Wednesday, October 13, 2010

No accounting for taste

Tonight, I had some chopmeat out to make dinner. I have had it with cooking for a long time. My kid hates everything 'cept pasta and ice cream. She usually complains about what I'm making while I am still cooking it. I've seen her say she doesn't like something before her taste buds have even had a chance to register. All her life, she has stopped eating foods that she used to like but never really adds any foods to her repetoire so she is just ridiculous to cook for and my days of making 2 or 3 meals every night to please everyone are over. Now, I could eat pasta every day but Tim is not a pasta fan. I have IBS
and a laundry list of food sensitivities. None of us eat seafood. I used to, just not in a long time.
I prefer not to eat pork though I can't resist putting crumbled up bacon on my potato salad. Tim is now starting with some weird allergies that are making him wheeze. He thinks peanuts are one culprit. Just great. When you put all our can't eats and won't eats together, it's a long list. We have been getting take-out(everyone can order whatever they want)
sometimes 2-3 times a week but it gets pretty pricey. We had hamburgers recently and I was
not in the mood for meatloaf. Had that a week or so ago too. So, what to do? I take out a package of spanish rice and start that going. I brown up some chopmeat and add chili seasoning to it. I grate up some cheddar cheese. I figure this is a little like a hamburger helper /taco salad type of thing. I mix up the seasoned beef with the spanish rice, plate it and put cheddar on top
and top that off with salsa and some tortilla strips(I have to admit this was a little pouch from Wendys that was never used). I eat it. Well, I think, not so bad. By the time I'm finishing, it's tasting pretty bland and I'm thinking, I'm never making this again. For one thing, it's gotta have about a billion calories. For
another, I'm already retaining water. There's so much salt in this dish(I did not add any) that I'm gonna look 3 months pregnant by morning and lastly, I'm wondering if I can get through my
dog's walk tonight without jogging home to the loo. You think that's funny? You try jogging with a 4 month old puppy who doesn't know to stay on one side so she shoots back and forth in front of you and then stops on a dime 'cause she smelled something. I've done it. Very
difficult. So I figure, that was a dud, and then Olivia chimes up and says, "I LOVE THIS. THIS
STUFF IS GREAT!" Tim then says he really likes it too. My poor family. I guess it's been such slim pickens around here palate-wise, they think this pathetic excuse for dinner was just terrific. Go figure. If I ever hit the lottery, the first thing I'd do is hire a chef. Oh and a masseuse. Oh yeah and a housekeeper. And don't forget a grounds keeper. And a personal trainer. A yoga teacher. And definitely a psychotherapist, I really need one of them. Wait and a carpenter to finish my house. Oh well. Back to the real world. Off to walk the puppy.

1 comment:

Roobeedoo said...

You can jog when you need to go to the loo? That is a talent I sorely lack! I kind of sidle...
I am afraid I don't know what "chopmeat" is... is it minced beef? I was reading your "recipe" and it struck me that it was very complicated with layers and layers of flavours all on top of each other. Have you thought about serving a sort of build-your-own dinner, so that people can add what they want and leave out what they don't like? So maybe have plain boiled rice or a baked potato or flatbreads or pasta and then lots of options: sweetcorn, avocado, tomato, sausage, olives, nuts, roasted peppers, grated cheese...? You might be able to tempt your daughter to put together a new combination that she really loves? The leftovers will keep in the fridge and can be combined for other meals so there is no waste. D-i-Y pizzas?