Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Turning into quite the young lady

Well I am in all new mom territory these days. In the past few weeks, our daughter has gotten contact lenses and is starting to wear make-up. Today, she asked if she can start shaving her legs. OY!!!! What happened to pigtails and bandaids with little animals on them and teaching her how to ride a bike and throw a ball? This week, I will be sitting on the side of the bathtub with her and teaching her how to shave her legs. In one way, it makes you miss the old days. It's all
going so fast. On the other hand, it is so amazing to watch her grow and see her becoming
a little lady. Now that she is not wearing glasses anymore, you can see the beautiful blue color
of her eyes. They are just like Tim's now(they were actually violet blue until she was 2). I sat
across from both of them at a restaurant the other night and just stared on these 2 great sets
of blue eyes and I must say, Liv is pretty good at doing make-up already and her eyes looked so
pretty. Tim can't stand to even hear about some of the changes in her now. The day I told him I bought her her first bra, he got very uncomfortable and said, "I don't want to know this." To him, she's still his little girl and I think he's worried about these teenage years coming. She turns the big 1-3 on May 9th. I guess I am too a little. You know the saying, "small kids, small problems, big kids, big problems." But so far, so good with her. She is a sweet, compassionate, loving kid and I think we'll do OK. On the myeloma front, I guess I should remember to report things about that. Luckily, there is not much to report. Tim has to set up appts. for April. I plan to lay down the law and tell him I will not spend 2 months hounding him anymore. We have to make his appts. for earlier in the day too, so he is going to have to arrange his work schedule around that. I prefer Olivia not know about them so having to arrange a ride home from school foils that. Our docs and staff are just getting used to the new cancer center that was built for them and I'm hearing from folks on chemo infusions that their waits are longer right now instead of shorter so hopefully, these bugs get worked out and our appts. do not take too long. I'm booking a speaker for our next support group who is an attorney who helps people plan their finances especially where long-term care and nursing homes come into play. I met him at a caregiver support group that is held in my town and I learned so many things I never knew.
I want to go on this MM walk in Philly this year. I wanted to go last year but Tim didn't. Then something came up that weekend so we couldn't go anyway. Liv wanted to go too. Our onc. nurse and a bunch of folks from out support group go and I think it would be great. They say it is so uplifting. This year, it is the day before Easter, I think, which is not very convenient.
I also worry that if a representative from the MMRF, who sponsors it, gets up and speaks and says scary things about MM, that may be upsetting for Liv to hear. I have no intention of driving all the way to Philly by myself. We'll see if we make it this year. I'm not holding my breath. I started yoga last week. I can't really say I've been successful at putting myself on a diet but I am trying to get some exercise in. I tried to give up all sweets for Lent but fell off the wagon last weekend. I was really doing OK until PMS hit and I wasn't sure the world could handle me off sweets and hormonal. I tried to give up raising my voice too(not that I do that a lot but I threw that in the Lent basket). Well, I failed there too. Liv plugged her IPOD into the bathroom socket and proceded to blow through pretty much all the hot water taking a super long shower and belting out Justin Bieber tunes and I let her have it(having told her dozens of times she can't be in there that long.) Being so sick of having everything I say go in one ear and out the other with her, I made her put 5 bucks of her own money toward the water bill and told her the next time she did that, it'll cost her 10. Then we went rock climbing on Sunday and Tim started an argument with me in the truck so now I'm officially off the raised voice wagon too.
In reality, there's just no coping with PMS, sugar withdrawals and a husband and kid who never listen to me at the same time so it was bound to fail. I'll have to give up something next year that is much more doable. Like shaving my legs or cooking. ;o)

4 comments:

Roobeedoo said...

Heh heh heh heavy metal music, tattoos and piercings next!
Good luck!
;)

tim's wife said...

UGH!! Heavy metal could actually make me long for Bieber again.I think we're safe on the tats for awhile since the sight of blood turns Liv a delightful sage green color and makes her sick to her stomach.Piercings...well, I told her she can have a party on her ears and I might consider the belly button if she promised never to touch her face. I think the needle and blood thing may curb this habit too though. DRIVING-now that is what has me shaking in my "wellies."

Sandy said...

From one Taurus to another, tell Liv that one of our life lessons is to learn how to listen and not be stubborn! Chances are pretty good she will stay close to the norm as she becomes a teen, and will continue to sing in the shower even if it costs her $10! But Tauri are mostly conscientious when it comes to spending money, so perhaps she won't want to invest all her allowance in the water bill... intending not!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of you giving up shaving your legs for Lent - I look forward to that.

My Auntie Ann advised me against starting to shave mine but too late and then of course if you try and stop it's the extreme Yeti look. Well except at the moment I'm still hairy but its growing slower. There have to be fringe benefits. ;D