Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Dropped balls and being your own advocate

I can't say it too much. Ya gotta be on your game in the healthcare world. This morning, my dad had surgery on his sinuses. He had polups(sp?) and he was tired of dealing with sinus infections all the time. About 5 or 6 years
ago, he was rear-ended by a truck and knocked out and we found out that he has an aneurism in his head when they did a cat scan on him. Probably been there a long time but it's, of course, a concern and there's certain things that are more risky for him. SOOOOO he had to get all kinds of clearances from his neurologist, submit scans and reports about his aneurism, do all sorts of pre-op testing and the last few weeks have been a frustrating back and forth of docs offices NOT doing what they were supposed to and  dragging this whole process out. Today, after all this, they are just about to start and the anesthesiologist walks into the room and THEN she is told about his aneurism. Probably the person who most needed this information was never told and she gets it thrown in her lap when she walks into the room to put him under. She proceeds to throw a little fit (rightfully so but it stinks that my dad had to hear this) and tells them she does not want to put him under because the general anesthesia they were using can cause blood pressure spikes, especially when the patient is being intubated and extubated. BP spikes can make aneurisms rupture and cause, you know, like death. I don't know how the rest of the conversation went, but note to anesthesiologist: TALKING LIKE THIS IN FRONT OF THE PATIENT CAN ALSO CAUSE BLOOD PRESSURE SPIKES!!! Well, she did finally put him under and he got the surgery done but what a nice little scene to be privy to just as they're about to do this thing to you. It bothers me that my dad did all these things to safeguard his health AT THEIR REQUEST and then the ball gets dropped anyway. Maybe they would have used a safer type of anesthesia, I dunno, but it's scary when stuff like this happens. My dad may be just a number to them but he's a lot more than that to a whole lotta people. Thank God, everything else went smoothly. Glad I went to hang out with them cause the nerves of it all was making my Mom even more confused with her memory issues and I knew she would not remember what the doctor told her and my dad was too fuzzy to remember what the nurse said to him either. My memory is shot too so we were all like the blind leading the blind over there but when it's medical stuff, I darn well remember.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

What an anxious moment for you - and for your Dad... I do not get the prima donna attitude of the doctors these days - they seem to have forgotten they are human and they will, in all likelihood, have to face their own mortality. Geesh!

Unknown said...

More and more I realize how much there needs to be a "Bedside Manner 101" class!!

Hope your dad does well. You have so much on your plate....take a deep breath and relax (if possible).

Hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

Seriously Denise there are a few people I wouldn't hesitate to have in my corner medically and you are certainly one of them! :D

tim's wife said...

Aw....thanks P. I take this advocacy thing very seriously. Had too many balls dropped on me over the years and have heard way too many scary stories about medical errors.