Monday, September 27, 2010

It's official, she's a homewrecker

One of the biggest fears we had about getting a dog was getting a "chewer." Well, it has happened. Our dog is not getting it that the toys are the only thing she can chew. It's been 4 weeks now and though my flip flops are still intact, there are tiny chunks missing and Lacey does not stop biting everything in sight, including electrical wires. She cannot be out of your sight for a minute. Our beloved Sophie was SO good about chewing. She realized right away that she was only allowed to chew toys and bones and did not
ruin anything in our house. I am literally praying that this pup grows out of it. Although she is
OK in a crate(Sophie never took to one), I don't want to have to crate my dog every single time
we go somewhere forever. We have no choice now. Even blocking her in the back of the house
where it's all tile is no good. She bites at the bottom of the kitchen cabinets. I've watched training videos, even one by Caesar Millan. I've been watching the "It's me or the dog" show,
which Tim swears we'll be on soon. I haven't seen a whole lot at all on the chewing thing.
At the insistance of several people who swear it works, we got out a water bottle. We've squirted the pup a few times. I don't think she has a clue why we are doing it and I think every
new action seems like a brand new game to her. I bought some bitter apple stuff to spray on things. Now if I could just find where I put it. Several folks have already told me it doesn't work though but I'll try it when I find it. I have to get a coffee can and put change in it to shake. Some say this works because they hate the sound. I really don't like caging animals and want her to be able to have full run of the house but she is biting at shoes, clothes and all the furniture including the oak, antique pieces and that just won't do. She is cuter than anything though. Once I figure out how to get my new computer to read my camera, I'll post some shots.
She gets swarmed with attention everywhere we go. I should have gotten a taller dog though.
If one more woman/girl bends over to pet her thereby flashing her chest to my hubby, I
SWEAR! Our outings have all become R-rated now.We walked into town the other night to get ice cream
and this blonde bombshell steps out of her car and walks up to me cooing and all and says in
her 3 octave too high, squeaky voice "OH I JUST HAVE TO PICK HER UP" and down she goes and we all get the full frontal of her very obvious silicone-enhanced set. TA-DA! She starts talking away not making any sense(Tim and I both got the impression she might be a little tipsy, both due to alcohol and the weight distribution problem ) and
as we pay for our ice cream and are leaving, she starts after us on her stiletto heals saying, "OH I HAVE TO HOLD HER AGAIN". I kept walking and said, "sorry, we're going now." If the word gets out, I'll have every man and teenage boy(kinda the same thing doncha think?) in town wanting to walk my puppy. Oops gotta go, just got a call that my minivan has a damaged rear axle and has to have a repair due to the recent recall on this and I gotta go rent a car. Too bad they won't cover the cost of a convertible sports car. I feel a middle age crisis coming on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh Buddy is so, so good in the house - only chews his toys (well demolishes), gets off the settee if he jumps on with a toy, doesn't chew shoes - he's just a little angel!

However the car is a different matter entirely - B swerved on Saturday whilst trying to distract me and then nearly gave me a heart attack when he shouted at Buddy because - yes he'd managed to get tangled in another seat belt and was proceeding to give that a chew!

Oh and Buddy is beginning to think my name is 'Where's Paula' or 'Go to Paula'! :D