Thursday, January 6, 2011

A new year + thoughts on polygamy

Today, I'm taking down the Christmas decorations. Usually, I'm just a little relieved to get
my house back in order(OK back to the normal amount of clutter and chaos, keepin' it honest here)
but this holiday season was truly wonky. It feels like it never really happened. We were all sick.
I was so busy, and still am, turning over apartments that I hardly got to sit and take it all in.
Our tree was not up and decorated till much later than we usually do it. The whole month
was a blur. My list of things to do as I begin 2011 is staggering at best and I wonder how I will
ever get to a point when I am doing something to take care of me. I was diagnosed with sleep
apnea months ago and still have not found the time to see the doctor about a machine. Yeah, I know, kvetch, kvetch, kvetch. It's just all going by too fast and I wish I could be doing things I
want to do instead of the endless list of things I have to do. The other day, I watched a few minutes of an interview of some guy who has 4 wives. I normally don't watch things like this but
I had to laugh. When his first wife, who went into this whole thing with her eyes open, decided she was dealing with some jealousy issues over this #4 he was bringing into the family, she asked him how he would feel if she took another man to bed. The guy actually told her that even the thought of that repulsed him. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??!! What a double standard. But I gotta tell ya, if you can get over the jealousy thing, I think having other women around to share
the work is terrific. As for me, I'd never share Tim that way. But I think that I definitely need
another woman around here to help me out. I need to find someone real unattractive that has boundless energy. "That's right honey, keep your mitts off old blue eyes over there and get cracking on that to-do list. I'm going for a massage."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched one of those programmes awhile ago and set off thinking, it's so demeaning to women, what happened to equal rights, etc, etc and finished up thinking WOW if you're prepared to share your man in 'other ways' it makes everything else a doddle!

My sis in law's Dad once said he'd sent for a mail order bride and he was getting two as it was buy one, get one free! ;D

Susie Hemingway said...

Great posting and it made me laugh, some men !!!! and I bet he was as ugly as sin. Still less work to do when you are caring for someone sounds inviting- umm then again...
All very best wishes.

Sandy said...

Well, I suppose there might be a justification for several wives if there weren't enough men to go around and the tribe needed to expand... but it is definitely not an 'equal rights' arrangement. Myself, I'd go for several 'house men' because there are some who can be like whirling dervishes when it comes to running the vacumn or washing dishes... and some can be trained to do the shopping, I've heard. Sigh.
Hope your new year settles down to a gentle hum.