Monday, February 21, 2011

California dreamin'




This morning, as Tim and I shovelled 8 inches of snow off both driveways(they said we'd get 2-4 PPPPFFFFTTTT on them), he reminded me that


our employee has to have rotator cuff surgery. Alan thinks he'll only be out of work 2-3 weeks.


We are hearing more like 6-8 from folks who've had that surgery. This presents a problem. Tim's job is extremely physical and at 47 and having MM, it's challenging to say the least. But


to do it alone, as he used to, is not an option anymore. We had to let our last "helper" go because


he kept showing up for work hungover. Nice enough kid, but there's issues there. The last day he worked for us, he showed up, parked his car in front of our house(a no parking zone) and after meeting the guys in the back yard, walked back to his car and hurled. He'd been warned before about coming in green(the color he literally was one day on the first week with us,) but apparently partying is more important than work. So Tim said this morning, "I should tell Alan


to get the surgery done at the beginning of the summer and we'll take the summer off." (the doc told him it was not a rush) That got my mind to wandering about a cross country trek. If you've been reading this blog awhile, then you've read that my family went across country for 2 months in an


RV in 1977 and I have always wanted to do it again. Reality and bills being what they are, Tim has a business to run and summer is a busy time for him unfortunately. Folks think that getting their wood floors done in summer during their vacation when noone is home is the perfect idea. It stinks for us but we are grateful Tim has so much work. Momentum being what it is, it is a really risky call to blow off 2 months worth of customers because Tim's business is based on referrals so you put a big ol' hole in the flow of all that. I tell ya though, I was planning in my head this morning. I would rent an RV and hook that sucker up to Tim's fancy truck, pre-pay the bills, throw the puppy and the kid in the back seat and head west. What I wouldn't give to do this. You have no idea. I wish I didn't hate flying so much. If we had just a few weeks we could


hit a bunch of national parks by flying about. Not the same as hitting the open road but it would have to do. I could daydream about this forever. I've seen it all before but at 12, you don't appreciate it as much as I would now and I want Tim and Olivia to see it all. Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Death Valley, Vegas(for Tim) the Grand Tetons.


This is my dream and the first thing we'd do if we could just hit the lottery.

5 comments:

Kristine said...

I am leaving for San Francisco on Wednesday. My husband has a conference. We have not been anywhere for three years-since before I was diagnosed. I am so looking forward to it. Even if i have to lay in a hotel room all day to rev up my energy for some sightseeing in the evenings. I promise to send some good thoughts and Pacific ocean air your way
I can hear the seagulls squawk and smell the salty air right now!

Anonymous said...

Denise an RV trip sounds fantastic - I keep thinking of that film with Robin Williams in though! ;D

tim's wife said...

Kristine,
Have a wonderful time! I'm so glad for you. San Fran was our destination when we went in '77. It was amazing but I don't think I'd ever drive a stick shift there! ;o)

P. I LUV that movie! We took Liv's friends to see it for one of her birthday parties. Everytime we see a big RV now, we call it a "big ol' rollin' turd."

Sandy said...

I have just completed a six-day drive across the country and I will send you some pictures, but not the pain-in-the-butt of having to stop every 200 miles for gas at $3.10 a gallon!

The snow is enough to drive anyone out of there and west and you can do a drive in two weeks that will make you glad to return home... maybe use the time that your guy is having his surgery and immediate recovery to go and see all those lovely places?

If you go early - April, say - take the southern route out and the northern route back as it warms up... just an idea!

Steven L. Ritter said...

OK.. I live in Anderson Ca. Right next to a Volcano, some fantastic Water Falls, Several Beautiful lakes and a river that would take your breath away. I would also count it a blessing to show you some of these. Keep me informed and if you get close I would like to meet your family, and by then you will need a home cooked meal!